Thursday, June 01, 2006

Mimi

As I remember Mimi I think of the many mornings I woke up after sleeping over at their trailer in Pleasantville. Pop pop of course was very concerned that we eat healthy food. So we always had oatmeal. If we were lucky Mimi would make the Oatmeal. She always added honey, brown sugar, and fruit. However on some mornings we would wake to the sound of the grinder and realize that Pop pop was making the oatmeal. In the grinder he would mix everything he could find including nuts, wheat germ, bran and who knows what else. These were the mornings we tried to stay in bed. I always suspected that Mimi tried to be sure to get up first and start the oatmeal so we didn’t have to eat Pop pop’s concoction. Mimi also made the best Applesauce which she served warm. I remember one time I stayed at their place while I had the flu. After a few days of eating nothing I finally was able to eat the warm applesauce. It was delicious. I also liked her tapioca pudding. Staying at Mimi’s was always an adventure because she liked to take us shopping at Sears Town. Since she didn’t drive we had to walk. I always thought it was exciting to walk around the Sears Circle as the cars flew by us. I have so many great memories of Mimi & Pop pop. But the greatest memory I have is of their love for the Lord. At some point early in their marriage Mimi & Pop pop determined to follow the Lord in everything they did. As I think of them, the verse that comes to mind is always Joshua 24:14-15.

"Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your forefathers worshipped beyond the River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

By God’s grace they raised their boys to know and serve Jesus Christ. Each one is serving the Lord whether in vocational ministry or as leaders in their local church. My Dad and His brothers continued the tradition by raising each of Mimi’s grandchildren to know and serve the Lord. What an incredible privilege it was to grow up in this godly heritage. We have not always lived up to the example Pop pop and Mimi set but by God’s grace we too are all serving the Lord today. Now we have the awesome responsibility to raise the fourth generation of Thompsons who will say; “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord”.

While we have faced many difficulties, we have always had a strong foundation. What ever may come, Jesus is our Lord and Savior. We are far from perfect. We have all made mistakes. And we will continue to make mistakes but we are forgiven by the shed blood of Jesus Christ. Today Mimi & Pop pop, Aunt Eva jean, my mom, Darlene, and Bruce are all together with their Lord. As I think of heaven I often think of Pop pop. When asked how he was doing he always answered: “I’m Living!” The Bible tells us in 2 Corinthians 5:4 that one day “what is mortal may be swallowed up by life”. Today more than ever Mimi & Pop pop are living. Their encouragement to us and to you is to trust in Jesus Christ. To receive him as your personal Lord and Savior and to walk with him every day as long as he gives breath. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Will you?

Tom Thompson Jr.

3 comments:

Chip and Karen said...

Thanks for sharing, Tom! Although I don't have all the same memories you have, I too, can remember their trailer. It reminds me of hot summer days, climbing the trees in the yard, and hoping I wouldn't have to eat the "horrible" stuff I had heard rumors of Pop pop making!

Although my last name is different, I too am thankful of the heritage that Mimi and Pop pop passed down. Even now as we are expecting our second child, it is scary to think of all the things this world uses to distract this next generation from the love of Christ. I will never forget the many times I heard Mimi talking about the time she spent praying for her boys. That is my encouragement!

Thanks again, Tom!

Roni said...

Thanks Tom that was great. And very true. I never got to have any of those Mimi experiences. I always thought it was kinda scary at Mimi's trailer with POp Pop there. I do look at this family with amazement though. It is a wonderful thing that you don't see to much these days. My family is not like that. To have your whole family serving God is some way is wonderful. And what testimony of how God is faithful to those who are faithful to Him. It is such a testimony to us who are raising our kids now. I know that it can be done. I mean if those 4 boys survived and better yet Mimi and Pop Pop survived that there is hope for us. I will be so happy if one or both of my boys decide to be a pastor, and if Elizabeth finds herself a preacher boy. And of course Cheyenne. I will be happy whatever they decide but what a blessing to know that they want to serve the Lord. I know that Mimi was very proud of her boys, and of her grandkids. A what a blessing for her to get to live so long and see what everyone is doing.
Roni

The DeLormes said...

Tom,

Thank you for writing that piece. We were so moved when your mom read it at the funeral... what a wonderful, wonderful testimony it was. Thank you! We missed you today along with Stephanie and the kids.

Cyndi and Bonnie