Sunday, December 04, 2005

Toby scores again



Today was Toby's first muzzle loader hunt. We had 5 inches of new snow this morning on top of Monday's snow. It was about 16 degrees. We were very cold.

After lunch we left this area. This is where Toby shot his buck 3 weeks ago.

Those cows would make good prime rib.








Cold, very cold.

Toby is holding his .50 cal hawken he got for his 12th birthday in May. It is loaded with 80 grains of powder and a patched round ball.








Button Buck.

We saw this deer from our truck. After a short walk and a 10 minute sit we saw two deer. We were set up on the field edge about 30 feet above these deer down on the creek. After moving several times to get a clear shot as the deer slowly walked, Toby was able to take a 70 yard broad side shot just before the deer jumped the creek.

Uncle Lee. This deer is within 30 yards of where you shot your deer.

My tree stand is about 20 yards to the right.




10 comments:

Brian said...

toby, you're a master!! That's awesome. Congratulations.

Rob and Becky said...

2 in your first season. Wow, I can only imagine. Hunting in the snow like that must be a blast. Congrats. Can you teach me how to hunt?

Bonnie said...

Wow, way to to Toby!!! Your becoming a professional deer hunter now!!!!!!! :-)

Pauline said...

I think your making all the men jealous! Great job! Does mom cook them up or do you and dad?

Anonymous said...

Nice deer
(cody)

Tom Thompson said...

Pauline,

We eat a lot of venison at our house, (thanks in part to your dad last year) and I use it just like beef. We roast it, grill it, and use it ground in meatballs, hamburgers, and anything else you would use beef for. We used it during our blizzard for your taco soup and everyone loved it. We crunched up torilla chips on top of our shredded cheese. Our deer mostly eat corn, so they are very mild tasting. I do have bunnies and doves in the freezer. I think Mattie and I will have girls night out when they cook them up! If anyone has recipes for bunnies and birds, I would happily pass them along to Tom. --Steph

Pauline said...

Glad you enjoyed the taco soup! I love the easy prep. I usually have it on Mondays since I get home late after taking kids to gymnastics. Enjoy your big winter! I'll see what I can find for bunnies and doves") You girls go out shopping!

Anonymous said...

Toby,

Way to go! You are really showing your dad and pop pop up. Great job.

I hope I can get out next year again and you can show me how it is donel. God bless
-Uncle Lee

Anonymous said...

that is so cool

Anonymous said...

ITS NOT COOL OR AWESOME OR ANYTHING ELSE!WHAT YOU PEOPLE ARE DOING IS JUST HORRIBLE!HOW DOES IT FEEL TAKING OTHERS LIFES?HOW WOULD YOU FEEL BEING ONE OF THOSE POOR CREATURES?THINK AGAIN..MAYBE YOU WILL REALISE HOW STUPID THIS IS..