Sunday, September 16, 2007

Kingsway Competition

We had our first competition Saturday. They took first place in their group and first overall with a score of 81.75. They won first Color Guard and Drum Line in their group. At this point, they have the highest score out of all bands they will compete against this season. Darlene did a wonderful job. She dropped her flag on a couple of hard tosses. The girls got new flags that were much heavier than their practice flags only an hour before the competition for their first song. They had a hard time catching a toss at the end of the first song. They also learned a really difficult and high toss last Saturday so they didn't really have time to perfect it. We were proud that only 3 (including Darlene) dropped their flags. The show is almost 10 minutes long so we have uploaded an edited version.



10 comments:

Linda Thompson said...

Well there we were again. I had a very strange "Dejavu" sense. Whay did I find myself saying, "Go, EHT?" THe poor kid, I called her Shari all summer, this isn't helping. They were well prepared for this 1st competition, must be good leaders. Grandpop and I look forward to being part of the cheering mob this season. I will start practicing now "Go Oakcrest." Darnee, I was there and did not see you drop that flag. Think Mom made it up?

Carty Family said...

What was up with wearing a EHT coat to an Oakcrest competition! - Shari

Brian said...

Go Darlene! That's so exciting. The reality of you being a High Schooler just hit me as I watched that video. You guys look great. Your band looks like we used to look half way through the season! One more thing: Grandmom, did you bring the cowbell. I sure hope so.

Uncle Brian

Anonymous said...

I THOROUGHLY enjoyed that because in highschool I was on the flag squad/dance team too :) It was such an awesome experience and some of my best memories from high school. I loved that!

-BECKY LYNN

Pauline said...

wow, that was awesome Darlene! I didn't see you drop anything either")

Anonymous said...

I LOVED it! As well as Becky, I too was on my high school flag team, it was SO fun, but a lot of work!! GREAT JOB!
-Rachel O.

Rob and Becky said...

Great video! Thanks for posting! What division are you guys?
Rob

Carty Family said...

Brian - No cowbell. I think they are having trouble finding it. I am expecting soon though.

Rob - We compete in Cavalcade of Bands and are in the Yankee division which is for the largest bands. We have 85 members and the cutoff is 82 members.

Bonnie said...

Wow, that brings back a lot of memories of when I went to Linwood High!!! Not that I was a flag girl or anything, just all the band music and excitement of it all. :-)

MOM said...

The cow bells cannot be found. Anyone have an idea where to buy new ones? I think maybe BT came across them and ditched them so he never heard it again. Would have come in handy at the wedding now that I think of it.