Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A business trip to remember









Last week I got to spend Sunday - Thursday on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. I was there to provide some training to crew members of the project I'm working on (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-based_X-band_Radar). Although it may sound glamorous, it was 10 hours of flying time + a 6 hour time-change, and I spent the better part of 3 days inside a trailer (complete with fake wood panelling). That said, I did get to go aboard the vessel and had 24 hours of free time that I spent touring the North Shore, the Windward Coast, and the Pearl Harbor monuments. We toured the USS Arizona, the infamous battleship that was sunk in 9 minutes, blazed for 2 days, and continues to leak 2 quarts of oil a day. We also toured the USS Missouri which was built in the middle of WWII, the treaty with Japan was signed on it's deck, and it was the first to fire Tomahawk cruise missiles in Operation Desert Storm. Despite being away from home for so long, I gotta say, it was a great business trip!




2 comments:

Pauline said...

awesome! I have never been to Hawaii and it looks so awesome.

uncle lew said...

Sure looks great there..that is a
dream of ours to get to go there.
It just gives me goosebumbs to think of all the lives lost there
for the freedom of our country.
Next time the boys will have to go with you to first hand see where
history was made.

Uncle Lew and Aunt Jean