Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Nebraska Hunting Trip With Dad

IMG_0247_edited-1 Dad came out to hunt the big bucks of Nebraska.  We hunted hard for five days taking only Sunday morning off.  We each had shots at big bucks.  Buck fever is still alive and well even for us veteran hunters.  On the last evening I shot a small 6 point buck with a broken rack.   I had a doe permit so I waited until dark and was in awe as this buck stepped out 15 minutes before dark.  I had no permit for a buck so I took this picture.  It was too dark for the picture so I had to Photoshop it to see the buck.

IMG_0265_edited-1

IMG_0248_edited-1 This is one of dad's setups.  He had several opportunities as the deer headed toward the alfalfa field behind him.

IMG_0271_edited-1

The last morning dad rattled in several bucks but none would come close enough.  This one however came in 15 yards from me after I grunted at him and I still had only a doe permit.  Dad said this 8 point was the small one.  On Monday night I missed this buck or one similar to it.  My excuse is that I had to hold my bow at full draw for a long time and he was 38 yards.

IMG_0270_edited-1 So I settled for this buck when he walked up behind me.  The shot was 10 yards.  At 4:35 I texted      ( dad and I sent text messages back & forth to keep each other up to date)  dad to tell him that I had seen no deer.   At 4:39, I texted him to tell him I had shot a small buck.  I hit the shoulder but he only went 50 yards.  There was no blood trail but he was easy to find.  He never left the run.  He is not the big one but he will surely make great chili or lasagna.  We have had a great time enjoying our God's creation.

5 comments:

Chip and Karen said...

How awesome to have 5 days of hunting together with Dad! Sounds like a dream for both of you!

But who taught Dad how to text?!

Tom Thompson said...

I taught his to text. I think he said he was getting "jiggy with it"

Do you know why one picture is off the right margin and how to fix it?

Carty Family said...

I think is is great that Dad is getting "jiggy with it"!!!

Darlene has recently taught me how to text and TC still can't get a handle on it. We are sooooooooooo old!

Pauline said...

I don't how "jiggy" it is but hunting sure has gotten hi-tech!!! that is a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Great job. I wish I could have come out to hunt with you this year. Maybe next year. My story of woe is that I missed one with my muzzel loader. I had not shot it for several years and the hair trigger fooled me. The shot went off just as I was pulling onto it, I missed. I had a shot at a doe and just as I decided to shoot she started to walk and I hit her back too far. I never did find her. Maybe the problem is old age, who knows. God bless. love ya all, Uncle Lee