Monday, June 18, 2007

Dad, you would have loved it!

HPIM0018 While in SC over the weekend, I had the opportunity to meet with a friend of RMI. He is an amazing taxidermist.  Deer are up there in terms of my loves. God, Family and Deer! What else is there?

This guy, Dave Strafford is an award winning hunting guide, speaker and taxidermist. He had animals (mostly deer) from all over the US. And they were huge!!! He probably had 100 deer mounts.  I saw some animals that were way up there in Boone and Crockett points. He had both typical and non-typical.

HPIM0019This guy was truly a deer enthusiast. He currently has 6 deer in a pen behind his house so he can watch them, learn, and grow in his ability to mount them. He used to have more than 20. I had the opportunity watch these deer for awhile. What a great time we had. It was great to meet this guy that is using his passion to serve the Lord. Not only is he amazing at what he does, but he travels around sharing his 2 passions, Christ and deer, at sportsmen's banquets, camps, and seminars. Very cool.

In an earlier post, I mentioned SC is different? Well, we drove 20 miles to Laird's BBQ. the BBQ sauce wasn't BBQ sauce as I knew it. They just didn't have the typical sauce. It was this amazingly good mustard based sauce. yum! The buffet included hash, fried chicken, fried gizzards, fried Liver, fried Okra, hush puppies, and some other stuff I didn't recognize. A truly great, but very different experience. I think I fit right in with the guys wearing their mossy oak camo hats and denim overalls. (I can at least pretend I fit in, right?).

Rob

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I had to laugh! Sounds like you received a truely southern experience there with all that fried food!!!! Did you feel like you were in a foreign country?
:-)