Saturday, June 09, 2007

Old House, New House


Our house was built in the 1870's. It was sided (at least some of it) in the 1880's... and we have the newspaper to prove it. In early April, we started to have our house re-sided. As the old cedar and pine clapboard siding was removed, it revealed the original wide plank sheathing... not plywood. And it was all dry. Not only that, but as part of the vapor barrier, our contractor found a piece of newspaper with the date of 1881 on it. Unbelievable, huh? The siding job took forever, but it has now been replaced. It's a little sad to think that we just tore off 130 year old siding to replace it with vinyl, but then I think about the former owner who used to re-paint the house EVERY fall... all of a sudden, I'm not as sad anymore.


The siding job is now complete! Next up... landscaping!



8 comments:

Brenda Arce said...

wow, I love your house!! The color is beautiful and really compliments the style of the house better than the white. I love the New England style homes and the rock border/fence!
And we thought our house was old! It was built in 1934...it's practically new compared to yours!

Chip and Karen said...

I would think 1934 is extremely old for Texas! It's hard to beat New England when it comes to historical buildings. Our area is filled with homes that are even older than ours. It's great to have that connection with history, but as I'm sure you know... old homes have their own issues!

I've really enjoyed seeing some of the pics of your house, also!

Pauline said...

amazing trasformation! I love siding, its not only easy to maintain, but way cleaner looking. Very nice color choice too.

Carty Family said...

I love the color! It looks like a whole new house. I'm sure Zach loved the gutters for his birthday present.

Barbara said...

your house looks great...love the color you chose. That newspaper was a great find!
Love, Aunt Barb & Uncle Lee

Bonnie said...

Neat! That color combination and the vinal siding make it so clean cut! It looks very nice!!! About that newpaper you found, I'm curious what the news was back then. Anything interesting?

The DeLormes said...

I love your house! It looks great in its new color... though the white was pretty too.

Chip and Karen said...

bonnie... there wasn't really enough of it to read, other than the date, that it was a Boston paper, and it seemed like some sort of an ad... not much different than today's paper, I guess!